Two New Jersey people—one, a 3-year-old boy—have been sickened by raw milk produced at a Pennsylvania farm. The farm had just reopened, having closed after more than eighty people contracted Campylobacteriosis, a gastrointestinal illness, from its milk last month. Long-term effects from Campylobacteriosis can include weeks-long paralysis. Other bacteria commonly found in raw milk can be fatal.
The French scientist and germ pioneer Louis Pasteur died in 1895, but not before discovering vaccines for rabies and anthrax. He also found time, 150 years ago, to perfect a method that prevents milk from causing illness—the widely employed pasteurization.
[Check out the "Most Interesting Finds" on Amazon ]