Founder and former CEO of Death Row Records, Marion Hugh “Suge” Knight, Jr. was arrested for murder after a hit-and-run that left one pedestrian dead and another hospitalized in his hometown, Compton, California. It is his eighth arrest.
Knight was born in Compton, California and went to the University of Nevada on a football scholarship. After not being drafted by an NFL team, he found work as a concert promoter and a bodyguard for celebrities including Bobby Brown before founding Death Row. Knight was first arrested when he was 22 years old, in 1987, for domestic violence. A year later, he was arrested for auto theft, carrying a concealed weapon and attempted murder. He pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge, and got two years probation. In 1991, he co-founded Death Row Records with Dr. Dre and The D.O.C. Running a business didn’t keep Knight from running into the law. Here’s a list of his other arrests:
- In 1996, Knight was sentenced to 9 years for a probation violation. He served 4 years.
- In 2003, he violated parole again when he struck a parking lot attendant.
- In 2008, Knight was arrested on drug and aggravated assault charges (allegedly beating his girlfriend Melissa Isaac) after leaving a Las Vegas strip club. Charges were dropped.
- In 2012, Knight was arrested again in Las Vegas — cops found marijuana in his car and he had several warrants for prior traffic violations.
- In October 2015, he and comedian Katt Williams were arrested for the theft of a camera from a photographer in Beverly Hills.