In the two-episode series finale of New Girl, “The Curse of the Pirate Bride” and “Engram Pattersky,” while Winston and Aly’s big day arrives, Jess (Zooey Deschanel) and Nick (Jake Johnson) get ready for their big day – their wedding. Jess’ mother Joan Day is in town and does not approve of the soon-to-be bride and groom sleeping in the same bed the night before their wedding. “It’s bad luck” she says, and Jess proves it to be true. (Last time we saw Joan was in the February 2015 episode where the gang went to Portland for Jess’ father’s second wedding.)
Joan Day is portrayed by Jamie Lee Curtis. Jamie Lee Curtis is known for her roles on Scream Queens (Dean Cathy Munsch), NCIS (Dr. Samantha Ryan), Anything But Love (Hannah Miller), Operation Petticoat (Lt. Barbara Duran), and in the films Freaky Friday (Lindsay Lohan’s mom Tess), True Lies with Arnold Schwartzenegger (Helen), A Fish Called Wanda (Wanda, see link above), Dominick and Eugene (Jennifer), and Halloween (Laurie), among others. New Girl airs Tuesdays at 9pm on FOX.
More fun facts about Jamie Lee Curtis:
- She is the daughter of Oscar nominated actors Tony Curtis (Some Like It Hot, The Defiant Ones, Sweet Smell of Success) and Janet Leigh (Psycho, Touch of Evil, The Manchurian Candidate).
- Curtis was in two films with Dan Aykroyd — My Girl (Shelly DeVoto) and Trading Places (Ophelia).
- She is married to filmmaker Christopher Guest (Best In Show, A Mighty Wind).
- Curtis became The Lady Haden-Guest when her husband inherited the Barony of Haden-Guest in 1996.
- She’s a best-selling children’s book author — she has written 10 books!
- Curtis is reprising her role as Laurie for the final Halloween film which will be released on October 18, 2018.