Chris Stapleton won the night at the CMAs, with multiple awards including New Artist of the Year. And he won the night on stage with his pal Justin Timberlake — the two did a double duet that crushed and made it seem like CMA could have given the Memphis-born Timberlake an award too, for best new country artist (who knew?).
The 37-year-old Stapleton may be technically eligible for “new artist” with his debut– but he’s been writing smash hits for other performers since about when he could legally buy a beer. Here are some of the songs Stapleton wrote before his massive solo debut hit with Traveller.
- “Ring for Sale” — Kellie Pickler
- “Never Wanted Nothing More” — Kenny Chesney
- “Come Back Song” — Darius Rucker
- “Crash and Burn” — Thomas Rhett
- “If It Hadn’t Been for Love” — Adele
- “Drink a Beer” — Luke Bryan
- “Drinkin’ Dark Whiskey” — Gary Allan
- “Either Way” — Lee Ann Womack
- “Too Fast” — Jason Aldean
- “Your Man” — Josh Turner