Give someone a fish, goes the proverb, and they will eat for a day. Teach them to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime. Whereas students used to ask themselves if they should study Spanish or French, these days there is one second language nearly everybody agrees it's important to master. Computer coding is that language -- it's akin to learning to fish in our digital world.
Chinese? Again, helpful -- but even polymath Mark Zuckerberg learned Chinese after he learned his most important language: computer code. Whether it's Python or Java, or one of the many other dialects, basic proficiency in coding is important to understanding the future -- make that present -- world. Here are 5 online courses, all priced under $200, that you can give a young person. These online courses are rich gifts -- worth far more than the price -- that they will thank you for now and especially later.
- The course is aimed at complete beginners and intermediate programmers. No previous programming experience is assumed!
- 55 hours, $195 (coupons available)
- Build websites and webapps
- 30.5 hours, $200 (coupons available)
- Artists who want to learn to bring their assets into games
- 52 hours, $195 (coupons available)
- Beginners who have never programmed before -- use Python to complete your own projects
- 13 hours, $195 (coupons available)
- If you are an absolute beginner to coding take this course
- 71.5 hours, $200 (coupons available)