Pau Gasol and Marc Gasol won't admit they're the best fraternal tandem to ever play in the NBA. The big brothers from Barcelona shrug their shoulders at most accolades that get flung at them. That's part of what makes them such good teammates -- and it's the kind of attitude that lands Pau Gasol, winner of two NBA championships, in San Antonio late in his career to fill in for a legend named Tim Duncan.
But the Gasols both shrugging their giant shoulders at a question -- Are you the best brothers to ever play in the NBA? -- masks a competitive desire both men possess that does drive them to be the best. "It's not for us to decide," says Pau. But we can help. Here's the competition -- a list of brothers who have played in the NBA:
- Tom and Dick Van Arsdale -- edge: Gasols
- Jon, Brent and Drew Barry -- three better than two? injuries hampered Brent. edge: Gasols
- Dominique and Gerald Wilkins -- DOMINIQUE alone may be enough. edge: tie
- Horace and Harvey Grant -- Horace has 3 rings. plus extra points for being twins. still, edge: Gasols
- Jeff and Marquis Teague -- Jeff is a killer, but edge: Gasols
- Blake and Taylor Griffin -- edge: Gasols
- Brook and Robin Lopez -- again extra credit for twins, but edge: Gasols
- Steph and Seth Curry -- Steph makes the Dominique-type argument for this duo, as two-time MVP, but Seth still not on radar. edge: Gasols
The Gasol brothers will be featured on 60 Minutes Sports, which airs Tuesday, October 4 at 8pm on SHOWTIME.
[Check out the "Most Interesting Finds" on Amazon ]