MacKenzie Bourg is the 23-year-old singer from Lafayette, Louisiana who's competing on the fifteenth and final season of American Idol. He first impressed the judges – Harry Connick, Jr., Jennifer Lopez and Keith Urban – and the rest of America by performing a three-song medley at his audition. The medley included a song from each judge – Urban’s Stupid Boy, Connick’s Come By Me, and JLo’s Love Don’t Cost a Thing.
MacKenzie has made it to the Top 24. Here are 8 reasons why he’ll make it all the way:
- Great voice, all the judges attest to that.
- He’s a “smart son of a gun” says Connick (after MacKenzie performed the judges’ medley).
- He’s “charming, and really sweet,” again, Connick.
- He’s got "a quiet thing about him that’s interesting to watch." (Yup, Harry.)
- He can rap like Sean Paul (see video below)
— American Idol (@AmericanIdol) February 11, 2016
- He opts for cool hair and eyeglasses vs. the dreaded American Idol porkpie hat (sorry, Rayvon)
- He risked performing an original song, Roses, on national TV.
— American Idol (@AmericanIdol) February 4, 2016
- He’s not afraid to make pinky promises.
39956 on ur tv 2mrw pinky promise pic.twitter.com/aWKEVFgki0
— MacKenzie Bourg (@mackenziebourg) January 20, 2016