Provo City, Utah firefighter/paramedic Peter Thorpe is the inventor behind Fire Avert — a stove-top fire prevention device. Every 3.5 minutes, a stove fire is reported in the U.S., and electric stoves are the number one cause of home fires. Of those fires, Thorpe says, 75 percent result from unattended cooking. The fires also reportedly cause 4,900 injuries every year and kill nearly 500 people.
It’s not only great product for individual homes but it’s also a great asset for apartment buildings, dormitories, and senior living centers. Thorpe is currently selling individual units of Fire Avert for $150 on his website. He needs help getting Fire Avert out into the market, that’s why he’s pitching it on Shark Tank on January 5 (9pm, ABC).Up to 70% off on Hottest Amazon Deals]