The new California law that protects cheerleaders from making less than $5 an hour will help pay the electric bill for the aspiring dancers who compete to make the pro sports cheering squad. But it won't change the main goal of these talented women. The main goal remains to parlay cheerleading exposure and success into something bigger. Usually in Hollywood.
Paula Abdul is the prototype, turning a stint as a Laker Girl dancer and choreographer into a small media empire. Actress and one-time Lois Lane Teri Hatcher is doing all right too, after giving her enthusiasm to the San Francisco 49ers. Here are 9 stars that used the professional cheerleader platform as a launching pad.
- Paula Abdul (Laker Girl; singer, choreographer, American Idol)
- Teri Hatcher (San Francisco 49ers; Desperate Housewives)
- Sarah Shahi (Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader; Fairly Legal)
- Charisma Carpenter (San Diego Chargers; Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
- Trista Sutter (Miami Heat Dancer, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette)
- Stacy Kiebler (Baltimore Ravens; pro wrestling)
- Lisa Guerrero (LA Rams; Batman Returns)
- Kiana Tom (Oakland Raiderette; Kiana's Flex Appeal)
- Kristin Adams (Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader; American Idol, Character Fantasy)
[Check out the "Most Interesting Finds" on Amazon ]