Misty Copeland is a soloist with the American Ballet Theatre. But she's more than a ballerina now. Copeland is a spokesperson for Under Armour, the author of Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina and a children's book Firebird. As the third African-American dancer with the ABT (and second soloist) she is an inspiration to "little brown girls" everywhere.
Here are 5 cool facts about Misty Copeland.
- Six and a half million people saw live ballet in 2014. Almost eight million viewed her Under Armour commercial online.
- Copeland is the first ABT African-American ballerina to perform the lead role, Swan Queen, in Swan Lake.
- As a little girl, she choreographed performances to Mariah Carey’s earliest hits.
- Prince invited Misty to dance in his “Welcome To America” tour.
- She was recently asked to speak about diversity at Goldman Sachs.
[Check out the "Most Interesting Finds" on Amazon ]