The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, the alleged birthplace of golf, has voted to allow women to join the club for the first time in its 260 year history. (Boy, Scotland sure is in a voting mood.) The vote is effective immediately. The R&A has been under some fire lately because it continues to host major global championships like The Open (known in the States as The British Open) at clubs where women are not welcome as members. Apparently the R&A recently received a memo--perhaps even an email or a text or, heaven forbid, a Snapchat message--that it's 2014. Besides it shouldn't have taken this long in Britain, of all places, for women to find a welcome. The Brits have been ruled by Queens as steadily as Kings in their history.
The R&A said in a statement that "more than three quarters of the club’s global membership took part in the ballot, with a decisive 85% voting for women to become members." The other 15% are pissed, we guess. Now where will they put the ladies tees?
[Check out the "Most Interesting Finds" on Amazon ]