A few results from the The Great London Art Audit (April 2012 to April 2013) by EAST LONDON FAWCETT GROUP (ELF)
Of 134 commercial galleries in London, which collectively represent 3163 artists:
- 31% of the represented artists are women,
- 78% of the galleries represent more men than women,
- 17% of the galleries represent more women than men,
- 5% represent an equal number of male and female artists,
- 22 galleries (16%) had male representation of 80% or more, whilst only 3 galleries (2%) had female representation of 80% or more,
- 30 of the galleries (22%) represent an equal number, or more female artists than male.
ELF also audited the 133 solo shows in the exhibition programmes of 29 non-commercial galleries in London:
- 31% of these shows were by female artists,
- Nearly a third of the galleries (31%) included no female solo shows (but a number of male solo shows),
- Over two thirds of the galleries exhibited more than 60% male solo shows,
- Only 1 of the 29 galleries exhibited an equal number of male and female solo shows,
- Only one of the gallery programmes that ELF audited (3%) featured all female solo shows, whereas 31% of the gallery programmes featured all male solo shows.
[Check out the "Most Interesting Finds" on Amazon ]